One word. . . .SAVORY. . .this bread is comforting and made with freshly ground barley flour. Perfect with soup and perfect as a crust for pizza. Barley is said to be good for you heart. If you add thyme, you will love it all the more.
Organic food delivered every two weeks, year round. www.yourhealthsource.org
- 2 cups barley flour (freshly milled)
- 1/2 tsp. sea salt
- 1 tbl. Sucanat (organic, natural sugar)
- 2 tsp. Rumford baking powder (aluminum free)
- 1 cup almond milk or diluted coconut milk
- 2 tbl. Extra virgin organic olive oil
- Preheat oven to 450 degrees.
- In a medium-size bowl stir the flour, salt, sugar, and baking powder together.
- Add milk and oil. Stir until all the flour is moistened and a smooth, stiff dough has formed. If dough is very stiff and all the flour isn't moistened, add more milk (or water), one tablespoon at a time until a cohesive dough forms.
- Turn the dough out onto a stone. With the back of a spoon, form the dough into a 1/2 inch thick, 8 inch diameter loaf.
- Bake at 450 degrees for 10-15 minutes, until loaf is browned.
- Cut into wedges and serve while warm. Makes one 8 inchround loaf.
- Try this bread plain, as a soft-crust pizza OR add thyme (1 tsp) and this is the best soup bread ever!