Gluten free is the craze right now and with buckwheat, that makes for an easy breakfast. Most buckwheat pancakes call for 1/2 of the flour to be whole wheat. These are ALL buckwheat and turn out nicely.
Organic food delivered every two weeks, year round. www.yourhealthsource.org
- (adapted from About.com)
- 1 cup buckwheat flour, freshly milled
- 1 tsp. baking powder (aluminum free)
- 2 Tbsp. natural sugar (organic or Sucanat)
- ½ tsp. sea salt
- 1 egg, beaten
- 1 cup milk
- 2 Tbsp. melted butter
- Preheat griddle or large skillet to 375. Grease lightly with coconut oil or butter. Griddle is ready when small drops of water sizzle and disappear almost immediately.
- Mix dry ingredients together; add egg, milk and butter, beating well after each addition.
- Pour ¼ cup of batter for each pancake onto hot griddle. Cook 1 to 1 ½ minutes, turning when edges look cooked and bubbles begin to break on the surface. Continue to cook 1 to 1 ½ minutes or until golden brown.
- Serve immediately.
- Possible toppings: natural nut butter, fruit spread (raspberry, strawberry, blueberry), 100% maple syrup and coconut oil or butter.