Healthy, simple cabbage soup! Nourishing your family could not be simpler and more satisfying.
This recipe was submitted by C. DeGaynor. . .thank you for sharing and please – if you modify this recipe. . .let us know your ideas!
- 2 tsp extra virgin olive oil
- 1 tsp butter
- 1/2 tsp coriander seeds or 1/4 tsp ground coriander
- 1/2 tsp fennel seeds or 1/4 tsp ground fennel
- 1/4 tsp cumin seeds or 1/8 tsp ground cumin
- 1 medium onion, chopped (about 1 1/4 cups)
- 4 to 5 cups, packed, 1/4-inch wide sliced green cabbage (from about 1 small cabbage or 1/2 large cabbage)
- 1/2 tsp to 1 tsp sea salt (more or less depending on the saltiness of your stock)
- 1 15-ounce can whole peeled tomatoes
- 4 cups chicken stock
- Freshly ground black pepper
- Grind spices if using whole spices: If using whole spices (coriander, fennel, cumin), grind them in a mortar and pestle or in a spice grinder until well done.
- Saute onions and spices: Heat olive oil and butter in a 4-quart, thick bottomed pot on medium heat. Add the chopped onion and stir in the ground spices. Cook until the onions have softened, about 5 minutes.
- Add cabbage and tomatoes: Add the sliced cabbage to the pot and stir to mix the cabbage with 1/2 tsp of sea salt. Add the canned whole tomatoes, with their juices, to the pot. Stir to combine.
- Add stock, simmer till done: Add chicken stock to the pot. Bring to a simmer and taste for salt. Add more salt to taste. Lower the heat and cover the pot. Let simmer for 20 to 25 minutes or until the cabbage is thoroughly cooked.
- Sprinkle with freshly ground black pepper to serve.