We made this soup with TWO WHOLE CHICKENS and used 3 stock pots. We were making enough for us to eat for 1 week and for some friends to enjoy some, too! As the soup ingredients thinned out, we added in two cups of quinoa (gluten free, rich in protein and fiber) and thin cut carrot rounds and more chopped kale. When we served the soup, we added shredded cheese and chopped avocado and you could have heard a pin drop as we intently inhaled this dish!
This soup came to me from a long time friend. . Sarah Pinero. See Sarah’s blog below where you can enjoy her version of this recipe.
Organic food delivered every two weeks, year round. www.yourhealthsource.org
- 3 TBS. Extra virgin olive oil (I use butter)
- 1 1/2 medium onion chopped fine
- 2 large garlic cloves
- 1 1/2 cups chopped Kale
- 3 4 oz. can of green chilies (or less depending on your taste) (for our large batch, we used 3 cans and it was plenty spicy for our family)
- 3 tsp. chili powder
- 3 tsp. ground cumin
- 3 tsp. dried oregano
- 12 cups total of water and chicken broth
- 3 14 1/2 oz. diced tomatoes (I prefer to chopped fresh roma tomatoes vs. the canned.. .we did used canned this time, but in the future, I will chopped fresh so the sizes are smaller and there are no stem chunks in the soup)
- 4 cups shredded chicken (we put two chickens in a very large stock pot and added water and some garlic and celtic sea salt (approx. 1 TBL.) and cooked it until the chicken was falling apart. . .then we used metal tongs to pull the chickens out and put them in a baking dish to cool. Once cooled, we picked all the chicken off and put it back into the broth. The leftover bones were put into a new stock pot and cooked over night for future broth - then cooled and into mason jars in our fridge)
- 4 cups of organic frozen corn
- 2/3 cups cilantro chopped
- chopped green onions
- salt and pepper to taste
- serve with raw grated cheese and non-GMO corn chips
Please check Sarah’s blog for greater detail and more pictures! This soup is SO DELICIOUS, we plan to make it again and again.
Several Days Old, with More Kale, Carrot Rounds & Quinoa
served with a large salad, fennel carrot salad and beans with shredded cheese
Drinks: Kombucha and Orange Mandarin Hot Herb Tea w/Honey
Please share your version of this recipe!