This easy recipe for gluten free meatloaf makes TWO 9 x 11 inch cake pans full so you will likely have leftovers. Yes, you can freeze one. We use the secret ingredient (horseradish) to follow with Poppa Larry’s famous meatloaf! He made the best meatloaf ever. Below is our take on Poppa’s recipe using ingredients we had on hand.
Organic food delivered every two weeks see www.yourhealthsource.org.
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees
- MEATLOAF 4 lb ground beef
- 1 large chopped onion
- ¾ tsp pepper
- 1 ½ tsp sea salt
- 3 eggs
- 1 ½ cup oats for a gluten-free loaf (OR, 5 slices of bread torn in small pieces)
- ½ cup ketchup for meatloaf mixture (reserve an extra 4 cups ketchup for topping
- ½ cup mustard
- 1 jar of horseradish (Bubbie’s brand, it’s 5 oz. is great)
- TOPPING 4 cups of ketchup
- Add mustard and honey to taste (Poppa uses brown sugar) (what we do: 2 TBL of honey, 4 TBL mustard)
- Mix ingredients in a medium size bowl (mix by hand or mix well with a spoon)
- Then press into TWO 9 x 11 inch cake pans.
- Mix the topping in a separate bowl and add it to the top of the meatloaf – you can’t go wrong with the topping. . .I think MORE is better than less. So if it seems to thin, try making it thick with more ketchup/honey/mustard
- Bake for 60 minutes. We used grass finished beef and there was very little fat. IF you have oil on the top, carefully pour some of it off. Let rest for 5-10 minutes before slicing to serve.
Love to hear how this goes for you! Please share your ideas for making meatloaf yummy! And. . .what do you do with meatloaf leftovers?
If you currently receive food from our Organic Food Service (Co-op Style or Boxed to your Door) , thank you! If you not, we would love to welcome you as a new customer. See organic food delivery for more details.