Apple cider cake? Who knew? This little gem was my 3rd son’s request for his birthday! Where he got the idea. . .I don’t know. Several of my children like to see if they can dream up something unusual for me to try and this time .. .apple cider cake was the bomb! We loved it and will definitely make it again soon.
All organic and wholesome ingredients, truly easy and delicous. The flour was from pastry wheat. Pastry wheat is perfect for cakes and other pastries. Try this cake and let me know how you like it. I’d love to know if you modify it, too!
Organic Apple Cider Cake
- For the Cake
- • 1 cup organic apple cider
- • 2 cups organic Granny Smith or organic Fuji apples (3 large or 4 small apples)
- • 1 whole organic lemon – juiced and added to a medium bowl of water – use this to put sliced apples in to prevent browning while you finish making the cake
- • ¼ cup coconut oil or butter
- • 1 cup sucanat sugar
- • 2 farm fresh eggs
- • 2 cups pastry wheat flour (freshly milled)
- • 1 ½ teaspoons baking powder (aluminum free)
- • ½ teaspoon baking soda
- • ¼ teaspoon sea salt
- • ½ cup heavy organic cream
- • butter or use coconut oil to lightly coat a 9x13-inch baking pan
- • 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- • 3 tablespoons sucanat sugar
- For the Glaze
- • 1 cup apple cider
- • 1 cup sucanat sugar
- • 1-2 tablespoons heavy organic cream or milk
- Place the first cup of apple cider on the stove and bring to a boil and boil until reduced to ¼ cup. Set aside to cool.
- Core and peel the apples and then cut each into 16 slices (fewer slices if using smaller apples). Have a bowl of water that has a whole lemon squeezed into it. Place apples into water and then onto a plate to dry and set aside. This will keep them from turning brown.
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees
- In the bowl of a stand mixer with paddle attachment, beat butter and sugar until well mixed.
- With the mixer running, add one egg at a time beating until smooth. Scrap sides and beat until light and fluffy, about three minutes.
- In a medium bowl, sift flour, baking powder, baking soda and salt.
- Measure out cream and add cooled reduced cider to cream.
- With the mixer on low mix until well combined. Scrape sides and mix until smooth.
- Grease a 9X13 pan liberally with butter or coconut oil and pour in the batter.
- Arrange the apples, across the top of the batter in layers.
- Sprinkle cinnamon and sugar over the top of the cake and place in the oven for 50-60 minutes or until a toothpick inserted into center comes out clean.
- While the cake is baking, make the glaze.
- Place the second cup of apple cider on the stove as before only reduce down to ½ cup.
- Place the sugar in a small bowl and add the reduced cider along with one tablespoon cream and stir. Add the last tablespoon of milk or cream a little at a time until desired consistency. It should be thick so you can drizzle it across each cut piece of cake as you are serving.
- When the cake comes out of the oven, cool to room temperature and cut into squares.Serve with whole cream and natural sugar vanilla ice cream, if desired.