Follow our easy recipe for organic, free-range roast chicken with vegetables and your whole family will enjoy a healthy and satisfying meal.
Organic food delivered every two weeks, year round. www.yourhealthsource.org
- 1 whole chicken (buy pastured birds whenever possible)
- seal salt and freshly ground black pepper
- 2-4 bulbs of garlic, pressed or crushed
- 1 lemon cut in half
- 1 onion, thinly sliced
- 8 carrots, peeled, cut into 2-inch chunks
- 4 potatoes cut into chunks
- 1 tsp thyme
- 1/2 stick butter melted or coconut oil
- Rinse and dry the chicken with paper towels.
- Liberally salt the inside and outside of the chicken with salt and pepper.
- Stuff the cavity with garlic, thyme, and lemon.
- Scatter onions, potatoes and carrots around the chicken.
- Brush the chicken with melted butter and add salt and pepper (and thyme if you wish!)
- Roast at 425° for 1 1/2 hours or until the skin is golden brown and the juices run clear when cut between the leg and thigh.
- Remove the chicken from the roasting pan to a platter and cover.
- Continue to roast the vegetables for an additional 15-20 minutes.
- Remove items from the cavity of the chicken. Carve and transfer to a serving platter. Add roasted vegetables.
If you currently receive food from our Organic Food Service (Co-op Style or Boxed to your Door) , thank you! If you not, we would love to welcome you as a new customer. See organic food delivery for more details.