Starting with our basic whole wheat bread dough recipe. I added in 1 cup of golden flaxseed (unground and whole) and rolled two portions out onto well oiled pans. If this were thinner, it would be a pizza crust. Here it is thicker and after it rises, I let it cool, then slice it thin down the middle and have two large layers of bread. (Since I have two trays, it makes two HUGE sandwiches. . .we have used this idea several times when we have a large crowd over)
Ideas for Fillers
- Avocado – here we mash avocado, spread the mash, then add on lettuce, cheese and thin sliced tomatoes. We love thin sliced cucumbers added to this sandwich, too! Sea salt and some hot sauce nearby does the trick every time!
- Organic Smoked Turkey – this one is the same as above, only add in a layer of smoked, thin sliced turkey
- Organic Raw Cheese – just thin sliced cheese, grilled in a pan with butter. Home made, heavenly grilled cheese sandwich
- Nut butter and fruit spread – peanut butter is our absolute favorite paired with strawberry fruit spread (no jelly due to the sugar and corn syrup)
- Tuna Fish or Salmon – something we haven’t tried. . .yet!
The Dough Before Rising
Avocado and other delicious fillings!