Need a new recipe for all those sweet potatoes? Looking for something that is rich and nutritious and won’t spike your blood sugar? Try this lovely little pound cake. I think you will like it!
adapted from “Healthy Recipes from the Heart of Our Homes” by Phyllis Stanley
Organic food delivered every two weeks, year round. www.yourhealthsource.org
- Pre-heat oven to 350
- Using a mixer:
- 1 cup softened butter
- 1 cup maple syrup
- 1 tsp. vanilla extract
- 2 cups mashed sweet potatoes
- 4 eggs
- Then add:
- 2 tsp. baking powder (aluminum free)
- ½ tsp. baking soda
- ¼ tsp. sea salt
- 1 tsp. cinnamon
- 3 ¼ cup freshly ground wheat, spelt or kamut flour
- If desired, glaze with:
- 1 cup organic confectioners’ sugar
- 2 Tbsp. grated orange zest
- 5 tsp. orange juice
- Pour batter into a 10-inch, greased and floured bundt pan or cake pan.
- Bake at 350 for about 1 hour, 20 minutes. Cool cake for 20 minutes in the pan, then invert on serving plate.
- To make it extra special, serve with real whipped cream.