Prepare to enjoy! This little whole wheat muffin is easy to make and delicious with honey butter! Freeze up a bunch and pull them out from time to time for a delicious snack or addition to breakfast.
adapted from Phyllis Stanley’s “Healthy Recipes from the Heart of Our Homes”
- Preheat oven 375 degrees
- Mix dry ingredients:
- 1 1/2 cups whole wheat flour (freshly milled)
- 2 tsp. baking powder (aluminum free)
- 1/2 tsp. sea salt
- 1 Tbsp. finely shredded lemon peel or ½ Tbsp. Dried Orange peel
- ½ Tbsp. poppy seed
- Then add in liquid ingredients:
- 1/4 cup coconut oil or butter, liquified
- 1 beaten egg
- ½ cup milk
- ½ cup honey
- Grease stainless steel muffin pans or line with baking cups; fill 2/3’s full
- Bake at 375 about 15-20 minutes, depending on the muffin tin size. Makes 12.
- **for variation, add ½ cup shelled sunflower seeds to the flour mixture and leave out lemon/orange zest/poppy seeds. Or add in 2 cups shredded sharp cheddar cheese.
- ***for more lemon or orange flavor, squeeze some lemon juice or orange into the batter
Let me know how you like these! Did you do anything different?
If you currently receive food from our Organic Food Service (Co-op Style or Boxed to your Door) , thank you! If you not, we would love to welcome you as a new customer. See organic food delivery for more details.