Whole wheat pie crust MAKES the pie! Flaky, wholesome (made with freshly milled whole wheat flour) and just perfect with an all natural, from scratch pie. I hope you give this whole wheat pie crust recipe a try. It’s awesome!
Organic food delivered every two weeks. www.yourhealthsource.org
- 2 cups whole wheat flour (from freshly milled grain)
- 1/4 teaspoon sea salt
- 1/2 cup organic unsalted butter, chilled (we usually go with room temperature)
- 4-6 tablespoons ice water
- Pulse all ingredients except water in the food processor (we use our Bosch mixing whisks and lightly pulse the batter) until the butter pieces are about the size of peas. Then, drizzle the water into the dough mixture with the food processor on. Mix until a ball is formed. Do not over mix!
- Remove dough ball from container and gently form into a flat ball. Do not overwork dough. Wrap in plastic wrap, and chill for at least 30 minutes before rolling. Remember if you are using deep dish pie pans, you may need to increase the flour and water.
- Grease the pie plate with butter. Roll out dough, and put in a pie plate. It is now ready for the filling. We cover the edges with foil to keep the crust from burning.
If you currently receive food from our Organic Food Service (Co-op Style or Boxed to your Door) , thank you! If you not, we would love to welcome you as a new customer. See organic food delivery for more details.